The issue of an underground gasoline leak at the midtown corner of 31st ST and Cleveland, Kansas City MO, is a historic example of the great power of community involvement. Joseph Jackson will be the guest of Richard Mabion. Joseph Jackson is a veteran of the United States Air Force and former member of the Kansas City Missouri School Board and Treasurer for the Kansas City Public Schools. He is a community advocate and former neighborhood President of Santa Fe Area Council and member of the Kansas City Neighborhood Advisory Council.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS for the week of 10/8:
- Tues, 10/9 7 PM – 8:30 PM Doing Environmental History: The Chisholm Trail as a Case Study. Unitarian Fellowship, 4775 SW 21st Street, Topeka, Kansas 66614 contact [email protected]
- Wed, 10/10 6 – 8:30 PM Kansas City, Missouri Poor People’s Hearing, 6140 Swope Pkwy, Kansas City, MO 64130
- Thur, 10/11 5:30 – 8 PM Free screening of The Guardian at Spencer Museum of Art, 1301 Mississippi, Kansas University, Lawrence KS. An indigenous community in Mexico confronts internal divisions and illegal loggers in order to recover the ancient forest they nearly destroyed. Like the millions of monarchs that also call this forest home, their survival depends on it. The screening will be followed by a Q&A with Dr. Orley “Chip” Taylor, director of Monarch Watch.
- Fri, 10/12 10 – 11 AM Brush Creek Confluence Trail Opening Blue Banks Park · 4701 Denver AVE, Kansas City, MO
- Sat, 10/13 1 PM Food Not Lawns: Lawn Eradication 101: 118 Westport Rd, KCMO 64111. Permaculture Extension sponsors a chance to learn to turn your lawn into a garden and your neighborhood into a community. You will learn about ecologically sound methods to eradicate your lawn and replace it with gardens, edible landscaping and forest gardens.
- Sat, 10/13, 9:30 AM – 12:00 PM Blue River Glades Litter Cleanup. Volunteer to clean up litter in the Blue River Watershed near Swope Park in Kansas City, MO. min age: 16. All volunteers must register in advance by completing online registration. Contact John at 816-944-2383 or email [email protected]
- Sat,10/13 9 AM – 12 PM Alex George Wetland Restoration sponsored by Jackson County Parks and Rec and Heartland Conservation Alliance, Alex George Park 10700 Blue River Rd, Kansas City, Missouri 64131 Appropriate clothing includes rubber boots if you are able to be on the lake edge tree planting crew. Long pants, long sleeves, closed toe shoes. We suggest hats, sunscreen, bug spray and a water bottle. We will have donuts and coffee available. Call HCA at 816-759-7305 ext. 1148 if you have any questions