For Wednesday February 14, 9:00-11:30pm on 90.1 FM KKFI Kansas City Community Radio, or streaming at www.kkfi.org, The Classical Challenge presents: Ragtime and More
In the early part of the program, we’ll be joined by Adam Swanson, who, despite his youth, is one of the foremost performers of vintage American popular music, including ragtime, early jazz, the Great American Songbook, and more. He’s performing in Kansas City on Thursday, February 15, 2018 at 7pm at Old Mission United Methodist Church, 5519 State Park Road, Fairway, Kansas 66205 (just east of Mission Road near Shawnee Mission Parkway). This concert is sponsored by Kansas City Ragtime and Beyond, aka Kansas City Ragtime Revelry. We’ll talk with Adam, and play a selection from one of his many recordings, and perhaps also a few rags from Kansas City’s plethora of significant ragtime composers including James Scott, Charles L. Johnson, and Euday Bowman.
Then, in keeping with the youthful theme, we’ll hear:
1. Ouverture de Peter Hodge Transport – Kyle Bobby Dunn (b.1986, Canadian) – electronics (trance?)
2. Frozen River Flows – Dobrinka Tabakova (b. 1980 Bulgarian now British) – Janey Miller (oboe), Joby Burgess (percussion)
3. Tracing a Dream – Rain Worthington (b. recently, American, female) – Russian Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Ovidiu Marinescu
4. Vick(i/y) – Andy Akiho (b. 1979 American) – Vicky Chow piano
5. Corradiation – Richard Glover (b. 1981, British) – Exaudi Vocal Ensemble
6. Spinning a Yarn – Dobrinka Tabakova – Roman Mints violin
7. Fuoco Celestis – Santa Ratniece (b. 1977 Latvian, female) – Latvian Radio Koris, conducted by Guna Sne
8. Suite in Old Style – Dobrinka Tabakova – Maxim Rysanov
The photo is of Adam Swanson.