Earth is a perfect school and it provides us with a core curriculum of required courses. Dan Millman has studied and polled many people and has come up with four purposes to life that answer such questions as: Why am I here? What am I meant to do? What is my purpose? Within the four purposes he has found twelve required courses in the school of life that each of us is taking. These are: Self Worth, Discipline, Well Being, Money, Mind, Intuition, Emotion, Courage, Self-Knowledge, Sexuality, Love, and Service. He says of this school, “It’s based on the idea that earth isn’t just a school, but fundamentally it is a perfect school, guaranteed to teach us everything we need learn to evolve through the challenges in relationships, finances, and all the activities of daily life … When we accept that learning is the core of our life, it can shift our entire perspective, then everything we do becomes a way or a path in order to learn.” (hosted by Michael Toms)
Dan Millman teaches worldwide, speaking to women and men from all walks of life, including leaders in the fields of health, psychology, education, business, politics, sports, entertainment, and the arts.
He is the author of many books, including:
- Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives (H.J. Kramer 1994) (adapted into a major film starring Nick Nolte and Amy Smart)
- The Four Purposes of Life: Finding Meaning and Direction in a Changing World (New World Library 2011)
To learn more about the work of Dan Millman go to www.peacefulwarrior.com.
Topics Explored in This Dialogue
- What are the four purposes of life
- How daily life is our master teacher
- What are the twelve required core courses in life’s school
- What is the difference between career and calling
- Why is what we do from moment to moment more important than taming the mind
- Why we can’t demonstrate courage unless we feel fear
- How is service the doorway to joy
- What are the trinity of needs
Host: Michael Toms Interview Date: 5/26/2011 Program Number: 3404