The annual MLK Forum, sponsored by the American Friends Service Committee and Southern Christian Leadership Conference, recorded on the afternoon of Martin Luther King Day, 2017 at Friendship Baptist Church prior to the mass celebration.
Hear from a panel of inspiring community leaders.
Learn about panelists’ perspectives and what they and their organizations are doing to reject policies of hate, scapegoating, and discrimination and to create the Beloved Community. Hear how we can support each other and about the 1/8 cent sales tax to reinvest in economically abandoned eastside KCMO neighborhoods.
• Micah Kubic, Executive Director, American Civil Liberties Union of Kansas
• Nubia Estefes, Community Organizer in the undocumented community for El Centro
• Moussa Elbayoumy, Board Chair, KS Chapter, Council on American–Islamic Relations
• Karen Curls, PhD, Member, Urban Summit; Penn Valley Community College, Social Science Division Chair
• Margaret May, President of Ivanhoe Neighborhood Association
• Don Maxwell, Developer of the Linwood Shopping District
Responding to economic abandonment and community deterioration and supporting the campaign for a 1/8 sales tax to reverse the economic deprivation of eastside KCMO neighborhoods.
Rejecting policies of dehumanization, hate, scapegoating, deportation, Muslim registration and all discrimination!
Joining with others to create a narrative of love and unity, rather than fear, blame, exclusion and division!
This event is organized by: American Friends Service Committee &
Southern Christian Leadership Conference of GKC. As the AFSC Kansas City Office is closing, this is the last year that they will participate.