350KC, The KC Climate Coalition and others sponsored a march in downtown Overland Park on Saturday morning. KKFI was on hand to record the proceedings.
The following is taken from the Facebook event page:
On September 8, hundreds of rallies and marches will be held in cities and towns around the world to demand our local leaders commit to building a Fossil Free world that works for all of us. These actions will take place just before the Global Climate Action Summit in San Francisco is held from September 12-14th and are intended to drive bold, ambitious and just climate action worldwide.
Here in metro-KC, we will march on the public sidewalk through Downtown Overland Park to call on Johnson County and all municipalities in the county to commit to building a 100% Clean Energy future and opposing all new fossil fuel infrastructure. We’ll be marching Saturday morning when there will be many people in the area for the Overland Park Farmers Market.
Our meeting location is an unrestricted parking lot at roughly 8126 Marty St. because we expect there to be little if any parking available closer to the Farmers Market. Note that this lot is across Marty to the west of the Matt Ross Community Center and its parking lot, which is restricted to patrons of the community center. From our meeting location we will follow this march route:
– North on Marty to 81st St.
– West on 81st St. through Santa Fe Commons Park to Santa Fe Dr.
– Northeast on Santa Fe Dr. to 79th St.
– East on 79th St. to Marty
– South on Marty to near the Farmers Market, where we will rally
– Across Marty at the designated crosswalk, then south to 80th St.
– East on 80th St. to the crosswalk near Homer’s Coffeehouse, where we will cross to the south side of 80th
– East on 80th to Metcalf Ave.
– South on Metcalf to Marty
– Northwest on Marty back to our meeting point
This route is ~1.3 miles long.
You’re welcome to make your own signs on the themes of Climate, Jobs and Justice, Go Fossil Free, and 100% Clean Energy. We will have rally signs with the message Go Fossil Free/100% Clean Energy for those who do not bring a sign.
We need you to join us as we Rise for Climate, Jobs and Justice!