Abolishing Slavery in the 21st Century –
In the first half of our show we talk with Max Parthas, spoken Word Artist and local activist Yohanan EliYah two of the hosts of New Abolitionist Radio. Max and Yohanan are part of the group Move to Abolish 21st Slavery & Human Trafficking and that of Modern Abolitionists a growing movement to change the Constitution at the Federal and State level to eliminate the slavery exception for those convicted of a crime and take down the prison industrial complex in this country.
Some of the goals of the group Move to Abolish 21st Slavery & Human Trafficking and that of Modern Abolitionists:
• As abolitionists our goal is to see the immediate and complete abolition of prison for profit/punishment for sale through federal and private corporations.
• We want all private prisons abolished. Including private probation companies and all the satellite companies profiting off the prison system in a multi-hundred billion dollar industry.
• We want congress to REMOVE the 13th Amendment Slavery Abolition exception clause which allows for the continued existence of modern slavery through the very constitution we die to protect.
• We want all individual US states to officially end slavery language in their state constitutions.
• We want all 37 states which enacted legislation allowing private international corporations to use prison labor for commercial good and services to abolish such legislation immediately.
• We want the abolition of all local, state and federal laws which criminalize a race of people, a culture or an economic condition ; the war on drugs, marijuana laws, anti homeless laws, immigration laws and debtors laws.
• We want the abolition of all privately owned youth detention facilities and halfway houses. America incarcerates 2 million children a year with 95% arrested for non violent crimes. It must end now.
New Abolitionists Radio seeks to educate the public and agitate for an end of 21st Century Slavery and Human Trafficking. It is an extension of the group Move To Abolish 21st Century Slavery. The program broadcast live every Wednesday night at 8:00PM EST. Catch Them live on line or find archived shows at http://newabolitionistsradio.blogspot.com/
Medical Cannabis Passes In Missouri…..Sort Of
Jessica Thomas is back to update us on the Medical cannabis bill that passed the MO legilature, it’s limitations, who and how cannabis can be legally grown, as well as when the law goes into effect. She will talk with cannabis patients in the midwest and update some of the happenings across the nation.
Calendar of Events
Mothers of Incarcerated Sons and daughters invites you to Women of Courage 2014, Saturday, June 07, from 3 – 5 pm at St Monica Parish Fellowship Hall, 1616 Paseo Blvd, KCMO. This annual event honors women who have made a difference in our community and whose work promotes strong family ties. For more information contact Beverly Livingston at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-337-5876.
The Criminal Justice Task Force will meet Monday June 2nd from 6:45 to 8:45 pm at the Church of the Good Shepard, 4947 Chouteau Drive, KCMO. For information contact Robin Johnson at 816-468-7894 or email: email@example.com
The Kansas City Chapter of Missourian’s For Altenatives to the Death Penalty will meet Tuesday, May 3rd from 6:30 to 8pm at All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church, 4501 Walnut, KCMO. Also the Education Taskforce/Speaker’s Bureau subcommittee will meet Friday, May 30, call Cathleen Burnette at 816-206-8692 for location.