Friday at 7:00 pm
The Real Deal
“The Real Deal” is a free-form FM radio show just like it used to be in the late 60’s and early 70’s! Mike mixes the Oldies and Garage Rock from the late 60’s with the Progressive Rock, Fusion and Blues Rock from the 70’s. Then he blends in new releases and live cuts, sprinkling in local artists to get a very tasty collection of music that will give you ONE BIG HEAD RUSH!!
Special Highlights include :
- The “Psychedelic Garage” where we explore unknown garage and psych tunes … heavy on the echo!
- The “Oiji Weather Board” gets you a weekend weather report with 100% accuracy according to Dan Henry.
- The “Rock Concert Calendar” has upcoming shows that only include the shows that really matter.
- Interviews with such icons as Ted Nugent, Jim Messina, Pete Rivera and Robin Trower.
- EVERY first friday of every month, Rick Chafen joins me for “Obscuropean Fridays” where we play progressive rock from the UK and the rest of Europe. “Obscuropean Fridays” has Mike teaming up with Rick to bring you music that Rick used to feature on “Her Majesty’s Voice” some years ago. Artists include Peter Hammill, Van Der Graaf Generator, The Strawbs, Wigwam and Caravan. We call it Obscuropean for reasons you’ll just have to tune into and find out as to why.
The Real Deal combines the best music from Rock, blues, oldies & local musicians. Notable guests have been Ray Manzarek, Ted Nugent, Alan Parsons, Mark Farner, Phil “Fang” Volk, Robin Trower, Fast Johnny Ricker, Jeremy Spencer, Alice Cooper, Jim Messina, Johnny Winter, Gary Hoey and many others.
A little sample of the Lytle Library includes :
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
- Paul Revere & The Raiders
- Jimi Hendrix
- Fast Johnny Ricker
- Bugs Henderson
- The Electric Prunes
- Kelley Hunt
- Johnny Winter
- Captain Beyond
- Ronnie Baker Brooks
- ZZ Top
- Billy Cobham
- The Rolling Stones
- Bonnie Raitt
- Return To Forever
Gary Deal, Founder of “The Real Deal”
Gary Deal was the founder of “The Real Deal” on KKFI. As a Kansas City native, Gary had a great love of Kansas City radio and was a great historian of the “top 40 format” in our area. He loved playing the “Oldies” on his show and especially loved Paul Revere & The Raiders.
His passing in 2007 was a great loss to his family, freinds & his KKFI family where he was viewed as a man with a lot of compassion and class.
We’ll always be thinking of you Gary !!!
Rick is a strange sort of bloke. After years of research, all our staff can confirm is that he appeared out of nowhere to host "Her Majesty's Voice" on local radio some years back.